Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 100: Drawing an enchanted forest with Johanna Basford


Check Johanna Basford's How to Draw... an enchanted forest.


Johanna's bio, in her own words:

Tumble down the rabbit hole and find yourself in my inky black and white Wonderland...
I'm an illustrator and ink evangelist who prefers pens and pencils to pixels.
I create intricate, hand drawn illustrations predominately, although not exclusively, in black and white.
My creativity is cultivated by a curious imagination and a delight in the fantastic. Much of my work has roots in the flora and fauna that surrounded me growing up on my parent's fish farm in rural Scotland.
I graduated in 2005 from Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design in Dundee with my degree in Printed Textiles and a portfolio stuffed with monochrome silk screen prints and drawings. Following that, I set-up my little studio and began on my mission to vanquish the vector and champion the (wobbly) hand drawn line.
Every piece I create starts life as a simple pencil sketch, evolving into a rambling pen and ink drawing usually spanning several sheets of paper. I love the tactile nature of the materials I use and the joy of smudgy fingerprints. My delicate hand inked designs intend to charm and delight, inviting you to peer closer and discover the hidden intricacies.
For me, computer generated graphics can feel cold and soulless whereas hand drawing captures a sense of energy and character which no pixel can ever replicate.
I like sugar mice, Alice in Wonderland, peonies and 0.05 Staedtler pigment liners.
Find out more about my work on my FAQ blog and in this one about My Process.
Follow my creative adventures via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Don't forget to visit Johanna's Web site

No comments:

Post a Comment