Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Day 222: Drawing a Lamb with Steve Smallman and Joelle Dreidemy


About Steve:

Steve Smallman lives in Staffordshire with his wife, two dogs and two cats. He has four children and a grandchild. Steve has been illustrating children’s books for almost 30 years and writing his own stories for slightly less. He also teaches illustration workshops in schools, including mural-painting. Steve is the author of Smelly Peter the Great Pea Eater (Winner of the Sheffield Children's Book Award 2009) and The Lamb Who Came for Dinner (Shortlisted for the Red House Children's Book Award and read by Meatloaf on CITV's Bookaboo). When he’s not working, Steve enjoys films, television, gardening and walking in the countryside.

Steve Smallman on Steve Smallman:

I started working as an illustrator when I was in my final year at Art College and now, over 28 years later I still haven't got a proper job! I've illustrated literally hundreds of books, predominantly in educational publishing. A few years ago I was main illustrator for Longman's 'Story Street' reading scheme, illustrating 79 titles and writing 5.

I've worked in children's television, specifically in character development and most notably in the 'Raggy Doll' series in the mid to late 1980's. I have also done a certain amount of licensed work, illustrating characters such as Postman Pat, Bill and Ben and Sesame Street.

I've been described as an 'Animal Artist', not I hasten to add because I'm wild and hairy but because I love to draw animals and especially like to give them human characteristics. 

I've been writing children's books for about 6 years and have already had several picture books published with more in development.

I've got 4 great children and although they're all adults now, my memories of them growing up inspire and inform my writing.



Joelle on Joelle:

I can't remember the first time I started drawing... maybe since I am able to take a pencil in my hand ! I spent my childhood among books from Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake, Tony Ross, Ralph Steadman ....

After my baccalaureat, I studied arts in university in Strasbourg for 4 years, had my Master of Plastic Arts in 2001. 
So I went in Lyon to study illustration, animation and sculpture in the famous Emile Cohl School where I met fantastic and motivating teachers like Yves Got and Jean Claverie. 
I had my diploma in illustration in 2004. I live now in Paris doing illustration for french, english, american and korean publishers and I think it's the best job ever ! 
I also teach illustration in Emile Cohl School.

I am full of energy, so next to illustration which is my very first hobby, I practice karate four times a week, write stories for children, play piano, go to museums, cinema....

One thing is sure, I love my life and I wouldn't change it for nothing !!

Visit Joelle website!

No comments:

Post a Comment